Saturday, October 27, 2012

Post: My Host Father is an Ex-Police Officer

My host father has recently retired from the police, and his history as an officer shows through in most of the things he does and many of the things he says.

Just one example:

One morning after breakfast, my host Dad tried to teach me how to shoot a pistol.  This was happening in the kitchen.  (He at least took ALL of the bullets out and put some kind of safety lock on....smart man).  He tired to show me how to hold the gun, how to aim with the gun, and how to pull the trigger without losing control, and the refrigerator door was our target practice.  My host father can't speak English and I can't speak Georgian, so you have to imagine this happening with absolutely no verbal communication except for the word "NO."

Pretty soon my host mom came into the kitchen and started talking rapidly in Georgian.  I did not understand right away that she was actually scolding my host-father for bringing the gun into the house, so I tried my best to show her what I had learned that morning:  I held my arms out in front of me and put my hands in a gun formation to show her that my host-father had been teaching me how to aim-- so she continued to scold him, and then I finally understood what was happening.  He just laughed.




No comments:

Post a Comment