Saturday, October 27, 2012

Post: What is Peanut Butter?

My little host-sister has been my life line in Georgia.  She speaks English well enough that she can translate the jist of most conversations, so right now I"m pretty dependent on her to help me figure out what's going on.  She is hands-down one of the most energetic kids I've EVER met, and she keeps me laughing.  We usually eat meals together, and yesterday I picked up a piece of bread-- (eaten with practically every Georgian meal--often times it is bought from bakeries instead of supermarkets)-- and I asked her if she had ever eaten peanut butter.  I am a huge fan of peanut butter, but it is definitely not a thing in Georgia.  She asked,

"Peanut butter, what is this?" 

I knew she was familiar with the word "sauce," because sauces are very popular with Georgian foods.  So I tried to explain to her, well....it's like a sauce that you spread on bread (using my piece of bread and an invisible knife as props).  And it tastes like peanuts.

"Oh!" She said, "I know this, but it's not butter." 
"No, it's not butter, you're right."
She told me, "It is cheese."

I'm still not sure if my host sister has tried peanut butter or not. 

No comments:

Post a Comment