Saturday, October 27, 2012

Post: Cheesy Bread



An extremely popular food in Georgia is called “Khachapuri,”  which is basically VERY cheesy bread. Baked with layers of a cheese and egg mixture. It’s sold at practically every corner.  I think it’s delicious. 
At our orientation during our first week in Georgia, all of the upcoming English teachers were given basic Georgian language lessons.  Back to elementary school, basically.  There was a café across from our hotel, and I wanted to try out some basic phrases.  .  As far    I mapped out this tidy little dialogue in my head.  I would say, “It’s nice to meet you….how are you….I am from… have a good morning….”
But by the time I walked in I was extremely nervous and felt so out of place that of course I blanked everything.  All I could remember how to say was “cheesy bread” and  “My name is Tashia.”  Since the very kind shopkeepers  (3 women) kept prompting me to practice speaking….. I just kept saying these phrases over and over again.  Needless to say, they sold me the cheesy bread.   As far as I could tell, the bakery was owned by a family, a daughter, her mother and grandmother.   I felt like an idiot, but thankfully they were gracious enough to teach me some new words.   Now I know how to say “shakari,” --  sugar. 

No comments:

Post a Comment